Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We've only just begun!

Welcome to my first blog ever! Certainly I am not an accomplished writer, nor have I ever been much of a blogger, nevertheless, thank you for checking in as I attempt to publicly journal my journey in faith towards building my determination, discipline and dedication.
In a sense this blog serves to hold me accountable as I strive to dedicate myself to learn "The Sweet Science" of boxing! Yes friends and family who know me- I am presently approaching my second week in training...My goal- to be in the ring a year from now!!! Woohooo!!
Okay so would it be silly of me to admit that I used to be in love with Rocky Balboa. I even recall thinking my uncle Phillip was Rocky when I was 5, making him my favorite uncle! Now at 31, a single foster mother of two, making ends meet with a Bachelor's in Fine Arts degree, I find myself being completely motivated, inspired, and dare I say driven to learn everything I can about boxing. But let's get one thing straight...I don't know the first thing about boxing. In fact, I've only watched one boxing match on tv in all my life, and I don't even remember who was fighting...i don't thinkI even watched it!!! Truth be told I've always found stories and songs about boxers more interesting than the actual sport. So where did this new found sprout of a passion come from exactly??? I can only say God. Really. The thought lingered in my brain, so vaguely it was almost easily ignored until one particular evening of prayer and worship ended with me trying on a pair of gloves at Pastor Rods house and learning to jab. I was hooked.
From there I went to India to serve with my church and the night I returned I found myself, humorously enough, having icecream and talking about getting fit with my friends. I was invited to come to a morning of training...well, after a week of recuperating from feverish jet lag I found myself in the boxing gym trying to make my body stand at the 11&5, my hands at the chin, turning the wrist at the 10, a bell buzzing every 3 minutes, as I am forcing my feet to step and drag in a square... and yes I loved every minute of it!
So here I am now in this season of my heart and character being transformed. Going into my second week of training, I am certain that this journey is parelleled with my walk with Christ. I haven't completely figured out how, but as I press on, learning to truly dedicate myself and of course, continue documenting the experience, I am certain there will be revelation, as my sole purpose in life is aimed at living in God's will.
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:12-14)

2 comments:

  1. You write so beautifully....i love that you are training in boxing..I can't wait to hear more about your new found passion...i love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to love boxing!! Its one of my favorite workouts!

    ReplyDelete