Friday, April 1, 2011

The Jab

You know, when I am just getting started in something I tend to get a little over excited about it. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a few challenges come out of this....for one thing, I start spending all my time doing or thinking about that one thing, and other priorities kinda fall behind. Second, there's always a lifespan to that exictement or inspiration, and once it is done that's it- I leave things unfinished ready to move onto what my mom would call "The next big new thing"...

So here I am, in my 'next big new thing' and I must begin with asking about the end. What exactly is it that marks the finales of my interests??? Among some unknown answers I believe one thing is for sure- I reach my plateau once the excitement, the "honeymoon", the romance of it is over. Realities of time, work, and commitment is all that's left requiring nothing but dedication to see it through to the end and, as Professor Lau would put it, 'to finish well'.

Friends, my track record doesn't look so good, maybe too many of my choices have been made in response to feelings and passions...Certainly I live now to hear Gods call and I have been lasting through some commitments- I've been with the Art Academy for three years now, I've been raising the boys for just about that long as well...but what about things that pertain to my own personal growth and well being, health, fitness, finances, acivities, relationships... I have yoyo'd in all these areas pretty much all of my life. Not finding any real technique in living that provides me with long-lasting life-changes, endurance in particular personal areas...on my own I have not come close. When the punches from my character come and I have no one to be accountable for in those areas, I bolt. Simple, uncomfortable? peace-out... n truth be told brothers and sisters, I have disappointed people along the way. But knowing the problem is only half the battle; if we don't know techniques for dealing with the harder sides of our character when we are confronted with them, how will we ever move into the next round?

After todays training session of more learning how to jab, I got to watch some guys in the ring. The Jab, according to my lovely glossary of boxing terms is: "the busiest punch in boxing... thrown quickly with your leading hand straight from the chin in direct line to your target. The boxer throws a left jab by striking out with his left arm as the left elbow is straightened sharply. A boxer is better-protected throwing a jab than any other kind of punch. The jab can also be used to block strikes." As I was learning I couldn't figure out why it was so hard for me. There is a serious technique to this seemingly easy move. The slightest movement in the shoulders and torso will let your opponent know it is coming, opening you up . It needs to come straight from the chin without visually building any momentum. As I watched the guys in the ring I heard the coaches call out "jab around", this is so that the opponent doesn't always know where the jab will land. All in all, I noticed that there was a whole lot of jabbing going on and not always used for hitting the opponent, it was also used to block punches. It was a combination of offense, defense and serious protection.

Then I read it is 'the busiest punch in boxing'. I don't know if you have spent a lot of time jabbing but it is exhausting. And, it requires pure technique... otherwise it won't really serve you any good. I saw straight away that without technique I will make a useless fighter. Sure I might have fun and even get a real good work out, feel strong, tone the arms, look good... but without a sharp strike straight from the chin it will always be all wrong.

This is why I am serious about pacing myself; I want to learn the proper technique. Dedicating myself to this is my exercise. If I ever even make it into a ring one day, it is understanding this that will get me there.

So here I am attempting to committ myself to the circumstances God has placed me in...with out bolting, but not just winging it either. But rather practice in learning techniques that will lead me to dedication that will last longer than the fleeting passion ...so that I can make it through the rounds when I am challenged by the strength of my own hard character.

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:11)

1 comment: